I have been waiting for me new shop to be finished before I got going on this guitar, but the shop still has a couple of weeks. So I started this project in my garage.
You will see in the pictures that I was able to use my new handy LMI plat gluing jig to glue my top and back plates together.
I made a rosette from some spalted veneer I had from a mystery pack of rosette wood that I have. It was progressing nicely until I tried to fill in the purflex purflings with black epoxy,
before I sealed the end grain of the redwood. It is still too early to show that picture. Lets just say I have some nice wood for a ukulele top that I can salvage.
I went ahead and bent the sides with my Blues Creek guitar bender. That all went well the sides were thinned to a bit over .09" before bending.
Feeling bad about the lost top, I went to my local Rocklier store and found a chunk of Amboyna Burl to use for the rosette and possibly a head stock veneer. I resawed a couple a pieces of veneer, sanded them level and then glued them together book matched. It looks like I can get a cool rosette from it.
Nov 8th 2011
I put together a cedar top at least that is what it smells like.
I have three sets. It is perfectly quartersawn and it has the most glass\bell like
tap tone I have heard. I think I bought this at GAL auction this summer.
(I should keep notes!) It will be interesting to hear what it sounds like
on a guitar.